Saturday, May 18, 2013

For Narnia

When I was a kid, my dad read the Chronicles of Narnia to me and taught me a deep appreciation for the literary genius of Lewis and Tolkien. A while back, I discovered that my friend's kids had not yet read the Chronicles of Narnia, and I begged her for the opportunity to read the books aloud to her two sons. Little did I know that the Lord would use this simple action to glorify his name. My friend asked her kids, and they agreed to try it out. The first grader made it through The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, but didn't quite have the attention span to make it past that. However, I read through the entire series with her middle schooler. At some point, he asked if we could read The Lord of the Rings after; I agreed, and we're now over half way through The Fellowship of the Ring.

When we began Lewis's books long ago, and even when I agreed to begin the Tolkien trilogy, I planned to be around long after we finished the lengthy reading endeavor. However, the Lord stepped into my plans and asked me to move to Germany as a full time missionary which means I won't be able to finish reading The Lord of the Rings with my fantastic kiddo. This is where it gets awesome, though, because while I won't be able to stick around to finish reading the books aloud, my friend told me today that her family wants to support me financially - in particular, her middle schooler wants to support me.

I got tears in my eyes when she told me because I am so humbled by the resources God is pulling together to send me overseas. I still have a long way to go in my support raising, but gifts from the students I serve in incredibly thoughtful. This kid believes in me enough to give of his own resources so that I can serve others in Germany. I won't let him down.

No comments:

Post a Comment