Thursday, January 2, 2014

Measure in Cups of Coffee

How do you measure a life? My vote has always been in cups of coffee - I mean love. But they're pretty similar, right? I drink a lot of coffee, and I've experienced a lot of love this year. Either way, I think I'm doing quite well.

My mom says I don't post enough pictures here, so I thought I'd give a pictoral review of my year. I've had so many changes, and I'm so thankful for every experience I've had along the way. Skip down to the second centered picture to just look at the highlights on the European side of the Atlantic.


 I started 2013 out right - with a bunch of crazy teenagers. I love those kids with all my heart, so much so I left the country for them. They continue to amaze me with their energy and excitement for advancing the Kingdom of God - especially that concerned one on the far left.
 My FUEL kiddos weren't the only ones to inspire me this year. I'm particularly impressed by this young one who let me read to him each week, and was so excited about me serving God that he wanted to support me each month. I'm blessed to have him on my support team. (Happy birthday, Luke!)
 I can't forget this one who I will someday have a Harry Potter marathon with. I got to watch her make her public declaration of faith this year and spent lots of time laughing with her. There's something about the Bax family...

I also got hooded with this brilliant woman. I'm so grateful for the training that prepared me for my role as a teacher at BFA. My graduation was a pretty big milestone this year - it's hard to believe it wouldn't be the biggest.
Filling a lifelong dream of visiting the Children's Museum with this girl was a blast. We didn't even have to lie about her age to get in! Even though we discovered it is, in fact, meant only for toddlers, it was a blast to push every button and twist every knob we could find in that place.


The zoo has always been one of my favorite places, and wandering around it one last time with Olivia was a blast - also hanging out with her and Jonah in OMSI was pretty stinking awesome.
This girl will forever remain one of my favorite people on the planet. Spending the Fourth of July with her was a treat - spending any time with her is - that kid is funny. She's also my only SuperWhoLock friend, so that's a bonus. I'm pretty sure the only people who love her more than I do are her parents. She's high on the list of people who I left the country for, and you can imagine my delight when I heard she's headed off the continent as well to reach out to the Gan Sabra kids in India. 



 My brother from another mother has a huge heart for the same kids in India, and spending time in coffeeshops with him is one of my favorite things - right up there with spontaneous road trips to the coast. I can't wait to get back to Bella and write our next installment of the ultimate geek story.
My year would not have been complete without trip to Colorado to see my family - all my family. LaPlante, Hewett, and everyone at the Embassy. Spending time with my nephew and other favorite little kiddo, Elijah, was so important to me before I packed up the most important of my belongings and headed overseas.





 My year wouldn't be complete without a play date with this amazing girl. She framed my prayer card and put it by my bed. I'm so humbled by the number of times kids have offered to pray for me. Ella's not the only one. I'm so thankful for her prayers and the Stephens kids as well as the Farley kids.


A week before I moved across the globe, I was sent out in style, riding a shark and blessed by two of the most influential women in my life.

The big day finally came, and I found myself in a foreign land where they recycle, sort trash, and have hearty braided beards - it's a little like Portland. In so many other ways it's nothing like Portland (they have Trader Joe's and Starbucks in Portland), but I've loved the transition to this new home.










I made my way to France on German unification day and discovered the Disney inspiring beauty of Colmar. I also had an amazing day laughing and taking pictures with my wonderful new friends. There's a fantastic collection of people excited about education and serving the Lord stationed here in Kandern. I'm privileged to be among them.
 Thanksgiving in Kandern is also a treat. It was a first for me not to have the holiday off, but I was so thankful to show up to work and teach my amazing students. I also was blessed to share an evening meal and time of worship with some fantastic coworkers. 


I occasionally get invited into the middle school clique - it helps if you've got connections. Happy, aka Katrina, and I are pulling for her niece and my nephew to make this bff thing a little more serious someday. It's crazy the connections to people I've found across the ocean. That smirking German teacher in the middle front knows my mom's friend from high school. That cute Canadian to my right knows a kid from my brother dorm section in college. 


 Christine makes this world a better place, and I'm blessed to know her. We first bonded this summer at or TeachBeyond orientation when we discovered our mutual love for Pitch Perfect. She does the best Rebel Wilson impersonation I've ever heard. She also is one of the most incredible people I've ever met. I love living and laughing with her.


Christmas this year was certainly different to be away from my parents, but I was grateful for the opportunity to spend quality time with my Kandern friends on Christmas Eve (pictured here). Watching musicals in my pjs with Sandra, Ahna, and her sister Amanda was certainly not a bad way to celebrate the day.




Bring it on, 2014.


No comments:

Post a Comment